[OSGeo-Edu] Academic Event

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 06:36:19 EST 2011

On 11/18/2011 12:43 PM, Lluís Vicens wrote:

> a) A «working meeting» with some of you (those who want to be
> intensively involved on the project), with the clear objective to put
> the basis for an FOSS Edu Meeting in 2013, to define the main ideas
> and lines for a future meeting, to look for funding options, etc... as
> well as some other tasks/activities, or

Face2face edu meeting, with a preset agenda would be the best. Email
list, IRC etc are not very good in my opinion. In fact, I would prefer a
well-done email list meeting because I tend to need time to think :)

I'm not sure what you mean by the "FOSS Edu Meeting in 2013"?

I believe the next good opportunity after Girona is Nottingham. I assume
the OSGIS will run next summer too?

> b) otherwise, are you thinking about a Research & Edu FOSS Meeting as
> a parallel session during the Jornadas de SIG Libre (21st-23rd March)
> open to everybody under a registration fee (as low as possible) to
> cover the conference expenses, sharing the same venue as well as the
> coffee breaks, lunches and dinner with the Spanish FOSS4G. Now, I'm in
> time to organize something like that, to book a room in the
> Auditorium, to make a call for abstracts, a call for tutorials, etc...
> It could be a nice way to share experiences and knowledge among all
> the attendants... ...

Have you received any abstracts for the english-language track of the
conference yet? How does it look, will it happen?

Ari