[OSGeo-Edu] Help with IRS 501(c)(3) question

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Nov 30 08:53:01 PST 2012

Edu Committee,

Some of you probably saw on the board list in the last few weeks that
OSGeo is still working to get 501(c)(3) non-profit status approved by
the US IRS, and we are trying to qualify as an educational organization.
The IRS seems to recognize our educational focus and they sent us a list
of questions some of which are to clarify a few points relating to our
educational activities.

I am reaching out to you for help as I am sure the answers to those
questions will be much easier for you than for me. I would really
appreciate if someone from the Edu committee could take a few minutes
today to draft some answers or provide some hints for questions #5 to 9
available online at:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/501c3_Application:_Questions_from_IRS,_September_2012

The answers do not need to be long, the attorney who is working with us
on this recommended that we go straight to the point and stay focused on
the actual question.

You can edit the wiki directly, or if you prefer to respond by email I
have copied the questions below.

Thanks in advance for your help

Daniel (OSGeo Treasurer)

5. Your website states that you provide support for the use of OSGeo
software in education via curriculum development, outreach and support.
Please explain what this entails.

6. Your website refers to both the OSGeo Educational Content Inventory
and the OSGeo Education and Curriculum Project. Are these separate
programs? Please explain.

7. With respect to the inventory and project referred above, is all of
the information contributed by volunteers? Do you monitor the content
contributed or take other actions to monitor and maintain the inventory
and/or project? Please explain.

8. The OSGeo Educational Content Inventory contains educational
material. Is the content of the inventory limited to materials related
to the software you sponsor or is it pertinent to other geospatial
software? Please explain.

9. You state that you have an online training material database that
students can use to find material for self-study. Is this the material
that has been contributed to the OSGeo Educational Content inventory? If
not, please explain.