[OSGeo-Edu] CCVGPG Classes Starting This Summer

Landon Blake sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Mon May 6 12:15:33 PDT 2013

I run CCVGPG (http://www.ccvgpg.org/), a local GIS users group in the
California Central Valley. As part of the groups activities we are going to
start teaching a couple of monthly classes. As part of the classes I'd like
to post instructional videos, sample data sets, quizzes and other material
online.

I had a couple of questions for our education committee:

1) Is there any interest in cooperatively developing the course material?
2) Is there any interest in developing a certificate or some other sort of
recognition of class completion through the OSGeo or one of the education
institutions associated with this committee? (I really like some of the
recent movement in this space by Coursera and others.)

I'm open to exploring both of these ideas. The classes will move forward no
matter what happens with the OSGeo as far as collaboration, but I think
there is an opportunity to capture some synergy.

The first two classes on the program for CCVGPG will be basic GIS design
concepts and some GIS programming in Python.

Landon