[El] Missing dependencies

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Tue Aug 24 05:05:19 EDT 2010

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:49:48 +0200
Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org> wrote:

> > Running 'rpmbuild --short-circuit -bi grass.spec' creates the
> > binaries, but not the final rpm.
>
> Maybe some install statements are missing.
> Could you please attached your modified spec file, so that we can
> have a look?

Hi Mathieu:
I've put a bit more time into both GRASS and QGIS, and I'd say I've got
about the same 75% functionality that the elgis packages offer: QGIS
with no python support (a big limitation) and GRASS still without the
digitizer and without nviz (a minor annoyance).

Trying QGIS, I first install the epel python26 packages, and using some
ugly hacks I managed to get QGIS 1.5 compiled and working, but I still
get a mismatch between python2.6 and the version of sip on CentOS, so
python is still disabled. Here are the (not-recommended!) steps I tried:
sudo yum install qwt qwt-devel
sudo yum install python26 python26-devel python26-tools
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.6/
alias python=/usr/bin/python2.6
# ugly soft links to cover for absent python packages
sudo ln
-s /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PyQt4 /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
sudo ln
-s /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sip* /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
# Download and untar QGIS source
# create build directory and cd to build
cmake -L -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/qgis-1.5 \
	-DGRASS_PREFIX=/usr/grass-6.4.0svn/ \
	-DGDAL_LIBRARY:STRING=/usr/lib/libgdal.so  ..
# edit shebang line in /usr/bin/pyuic4 to point to python2.6
make
make install
It worked but python disabled in QGIS :-(

Now for GRASS, here are the diffs to the grass.spec and the original
Makefile in the source tarball:

diff grass.spec.orig grass.spec
28c28
< BuildRequires:  unixODBC-devel mysql-devel postgresql-devel
sqlite-devel ---
> BuildRequires:  unixODBC-devel mysql-devel postgresql84-devel
> sqlite-devel
30c30
< BuildRequires:  proj-devel geos-devel blas-devel lapack-devel
fftw2-devel gdal-devel ---
> BuildRequires:  proj-devel geos-devel blas-devel lapack-devel
> fftw-devel gdal-devel
133c133
< #%%   --with-python \
---
>    --with-python \

and after opening the source tarball, I changed the Makefile:
diff Makefile.orig Makefile
58c58,61
< SUBDIRS = $(DIRS)
---
> SUBDIRS = $(DIRS) \
>       gui/wxpython/vdigit \
>       gui/wxpython/nviz

but this fails on creating the subdirs: gui/wxpython/nviz and
gui/wxpython/vdigit.  I don't understand the make process well enough
to find why the sub-directories are not created.

In any case in the past I've compiled GRASS successfully on Fedora,
including the vector digitizer by:
1) Adding to the configure line --with-cxx --with-python --with-wxpython
2) After running 'make' I go into the subdirs gui/wxpython/vdigit and
gui/wxpython/nvix and run 'make' inside each. Then finally 'make
install' from the top source directory and it works.

Bottom line, as you said, we should wait for CentOS 6...

Cheers,
Micha