[El] GeoNode deployment on CentOS 5: one should use python26-mod_wsgi

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Tue Nov 9 05:59:09 EST 2010

Hi GeoNode list,

I was reviewing the GeoNode deployment documentation on CentOS 5,
since I partly contributed to it:
http://docs.geonode.org/1.0-RC3/deploy/centos.html

I just wanted to point out that installing mod_wsgi (from the EPEL
repo) won't work:
http://docs.geonode.org/1.0-RC3/deploy/centos.html#installing-mod-wsgi

We actually had to build a python26-mod_wsgi package (currently
available in elgis-testing) in order to have GeoNode working on CentOS
5 (mod_wgis depends on base python which is 2.4 and not supported).

So the instructions should rather be:
yum install python26-mod_wsgi
(please note that python26-mod_wsgi conflicts with mod_wsgi, but this
should be not big deal here)

I probably forgot to update the documentation I sent to you, sorry for that!

When I can find some time, I will replay the install procedure based
on the latest RC.
I would also like to try to put together a proper RPM (but this is not
straightforward because of the dependencies to the Java webapps
GeoServer and GeoNetwork, which should be packaged as RPM first)

Cheers,

Mathieu