[El] pcraster support in GDAL/OGR 1.7.2 release (1.7.2-5_0.el5.elgis.i386) ?

Mauricio Zambrano mauricio.zambrano at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Mon Oct 18 04:52:54 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 10:37 +0200, Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
> --------Mauricio Zambrano <mauricio.zambrano at jrc.ec.europa.eu> wrote--------
> Subject: [El] pcraster support in GDAL/OGR 1.7.2 release	(1.7.2-5_0.el5.elgis.i386) ?
> Date: 18.10.2010 10:20
>
> >Dear el list,
> >
> Hi Mauricio,
> >
> >I'm a new user of RHEL 5, and while working with the gdal library, I
> >noticed that the latest stable version of the library, as delivered by
> >the
> >
> >1.7.2-5_0.el5.elgis.i386 package
> >

> >doesn't support the PCRaster format, what seems strange for me because
> >in the gdal web page (http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html) PCRaster is
> >mentioned as supported format, and also the older version (1.6.x)
> >supported that format.
> >

> >Does it represent a bug in the 1.7.2-5_0.el5.elgis.i386 package ?
> >

> Well, it would be more of an enhancement request then a bug report, but it is welcomed, anyway. Would you like to check for other formats missing in the package, where missing means that there are no license issues (ECW) and no huge dependencies (GRASS)?

Thanks for your answer Peter.

I'll check for some other formats missing in the package during this
morning, but I my knowledge about license issues or dependencies is
close to zero.

> I'm trying right now to build a GDAL package with PCRaster enabled, to see if this raises any issues.
>
> >My environment:
> >
> >-) OS: Ret Hat Enterprise Linux version 5,
> >$ uname -r -m -p -i
> >2.6.18-194.17.1.el5PAE i686 i686 i386
> >
> >-) Current version of GDAL:
> >$ gdal-config --version
> >1.7.2
> >
> >-) GDAL Supported formats:
> >$ gdalinfo --formats
> >Supported Formats:
> (...
> )>
> >
> >Meanwhile, I tried to compile gdal from source, with:
> >
> >$ ./configure
> >$ make
> >$ sudo make install
> >
> >but I got the following warnings and error:
> >
> (...)
>
> Compiling GDAL is not trivial, from my POV. Ever less trivial on CentOS/Red Hat, since some dependencies are slightly dated, see python, and some headers are in different directory then where ./configure expects them to be.
>
> It is way easier to learn how to rebuild a package from source on CentOS, search on Google for it, the tool is called rpmbuild. That way the build environment checks for build dependencies, you already have a reasonable base and the result is an RPM packege on which the other programs, as MapServer, can depend on.
>
> Anyway, I'll let you know how things went with pcraster, when the package is build.

Thank again.

Mauricio

Linux user #454569 -- Ubuntu user #17469
"Learning is not attained by chance,
it must be sought for with ardor and
attended to with diligence."
(Abigail Adams, 1744 - 1818)
DISCLAIMER:
"The views expressed are purely those of the writer
and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating
an official position of the European Commission."