[El] EL and Oracle Spatial

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Sun Oct 24 04:20:05 EDT 2010

I think that sooner or later every GIS professional will have to handle with Oracle Spatial. Should we provide packages for this?

Oracle provides RPM packages for the client side (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/index.html). We would have to recompile some packages to enable Oracle Spatial support in order to support Oracle Spatial reasonably well. At the moment I know at least of MapServer and GDAL, which have good Oracle support.

Three options come to mind:

 1. include Oracle Instant Client as a dependency
 2. make a separate repository for Oracle Spatial
 3. make packages, at least for GDAL and MapServer, which are mutually exclusive to the standard packages of GDAL and MapServer.

Feedback welcomed!

Cheers,

Peter

R3 GIS Srl - GmbH