[El] dependency error while installing postgis RPM

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Sat Oct 30 06:12:14 EDT 2010

Hi Martin,

> 1) postgresql 8.4.5 (for rhel 5) from pgdg84 repository = OK and functional

ELGIS is based on RHEL/CentOS and the EPEL repository, but not on the
PGRPM repo (http://www.pgrpms.org/, aka. pgdg84 if I'm not mistaken),
although it is an excellent repo for PostgreSQL stuff!

> 2) postgis 1.5.1 from elgis  repository = keep telling me that a dependency
> is missing:
> ---> Package postgis.x86_64 0:1.5.1-1.el5.elgis set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: postgresql84 >= 8.4 for package: postgis
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution postgis-1.5.1-1.el5.elgis.x86_64 from
> elgis has depsolving problems
> --> Missing Dependency: postgresql84 >= 8.4 is needed by package

The postgis 1.5 package in ELGIS depends on the postgresql84* packages
of RHEL/CentOS base (introduced in 5.5).
My guess for your problem is that some PGRPM packages conflict with
the postgresql84 packages (since the approach of PGRPM is to upgrade
the base postgresql to a given version)

Note that the PGRPM repo also has postgis:
http://www.pgrpms.org/8.4/redhat/rhel-5-x86_64/repoview/postgis.html,
but an older version (1.3.8).

So your choices are:
- you don't use the PGRPM repo, and use postgresql84-server of
RHEL/CentOS base + our postgis (that would be my recommendation if you
need a recent postgis)
- you use the PGRPM repo and the older postgis
- or you really want to use the PGRPM repo and your can hack and
rebuild our postgis postgis SRPM, taking the dependencies from PGRPM
(but we won't be able to support you)

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Cheers,

Mathieu