[ELGIS] Re: [SpatiaLite-Users] RFC: Renaming libspatialite.so, version 3, to libspatialite3.so

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Thu Dec 15 05:11:47 EST 2011

>> I would rather have only Spatialite v3, since to my knowledge there was
>> never an (officially) stable release of v2.4 anyhow.
>>
>> I don't think we should in general maintain many versions of the
>> libraries, this will be a headache.
>>
> Makes sense. Once that 3.0.0 is out we could it use a s a base for ELGIS.

ok, if no objection, let's do that.

I am under the impression that spatialite is typically a fast moving
GIS target that we ought to track (while a more "stable" version could
stay in EPEL)

> I would not fear this one. PostGIS is not a library in a wider sense, and
> since version 1.5, multiple versions can be installed. They achieved this,
> including the version into the library base name (it's
> /usr/lib64/pgsql/postgis-1.5.so in my system).

You're right, it's not a library (except for pgRouting somehow).

I'm anyhow very motivated to maintain both in ELGIS6 (introducing a
postgis2 package): PostGIS 2 sounds very exciting and PostGIS 1.x can
already do so much so well.