[ELGIS] Re: GIS support in EPEL

Volker Fröhlich volker27 at gmx.at
Tue Apr 3 04:47:29 EDT 2012

Hi Mathieu,

Am Dienstag, 3. April 2012, 10:19:51 schrieb Mathieu Baudier:
> Hi Volker, Peter,
>
> some GIS packages are being updated in EPEL

Which packages are you referring to?

> although my understanding
> was that major.minor versions would stay stable.

The policy is to only introduce bugfix and security releases, whatever the
project's versioning scheme is:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#Some_examples_of_what_package_updates_that_are_fine_or_not

Nevertheless, you CAN introduce packages with a different name, i. e. gdal19,
but that can cause problems and should be avoided in EPEL. Besides that, you'd
have to go through the review process, as this is considered a new package,
which can and will take ages.

You're also bound to a 14 days testing phase before you can push the package
to the stable repo. If 3 people vote for the new package as being fine though,
you can push any time.

> @Volker: which packages do you plan to support in EPEL? with which
> policy with regard to version upgrades?

Please see above for policy. As of which packages: Hm! I tend to introduce
packages, where I don't expect too many changes. I also hope to ship a
version, that is usable.

> @Peter: did you find the time to get involved as a Fedoara/EPEL packager?
>
> I'm off for 10 days tomorrow and I'll try to work on ELGIS when I'm
> back, but I'd really like to avoid duplication of efforts.

Of course, so do I. Most things are bound to policy.

Enjoy!

> As was always clear, the more packages supported in EPEL, the better.

I agree on this point, but if you try to ship the newest releases in ELGIS and
expect everybody to use ELGIS anyway, the efforts in EPEL are useless to some
extent.

Greetings,

Volker