Cannot install gdal-devel on x86_64 (was Re: [ELGIS] /usr/lib64/libspatialite.so.2: undefined symbol: sqlite3_clear_bindings in Unknown on line 0)

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Mon Jan 9 08:08:40 EST 2012

> Error: Missing Dependency: libogrjni.so.1 is needed by package
> gdal-devel-1.8.0-4.el5.elgis.i386 (elgis)

I could reproduce your problem with the installation of gdal-devel, and
find a workaround.

This is a multilib issue: no gdal-java.i386 is available for 64 bits, so
when you try to install gdal-devel it tries to install gdal-devel.x86_64
AND gdal-devel.i386, but gdal-devel (unfortunately) requires gdal-java,
which is not found for gdal-devel.i386

So, to workaround just run:
sudo yum install gdal-devel.x86_64

and you should be able to rebuild MapServer.

I suggest as a fix that we simply don't distribute gdal-devel.i386 for
64bits anymore.
Any objection?