[EU] Start of our activities

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Wed Sep 13 09:55:42 PDT 2017

Dear all,

Actually, I am now in a meeting with OSGeo.be to prepare FOSS4G2017!.
The meeting takes place in a very good location: BE Central Cantersteen
12, 1000 Bruxelles

Easy to reach as it is in the offices of the Belgium Railway station.
I think we can have here the base address and even possibilities for
face2face meetings.

I will inform to the possibilities... (now I have to continue our
meeting ...)

Dirk

On 13-09-17 17:19, Marc Vloemans wrote:
> [...]
> Also thx for getting infra for the chapter!
>
> Regarding the times for our call...I don't distinguish that much between work and play. I made my hobby into my work. Hope y'all do !
>
> We will obviously bump into many other unforeseen things. In good English: 'tant pis'.... start-ups don't get started without a healthy dose of serendipity and blindness ;-)
> Looking forward to the ride!
>
> Kind regards,
> Marc Vloemans
>

>> Op 13 sep. 2017 om 15:47 heeft Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Dear Till and fellow members,
>>
>> A slight reminder that this is the "OSGeo-Europe" local chapter, as it is more inclusive than just "EU"; sorry for being picky but we need to be sure to use the correct terminology, at this early stage, before we start spreading this news.
>>
>> For the IRC meeting, I have registered the channel "osgeo-europe", so we can use this from now on for meetings etc.  I'll add you and others as admins of the channel.  I have made a note of this in the "Communication" section of the Europe chapter wiki page.  (you can connect directly in your browser to this channel through https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=osgeo-europe)
>>
>> Back to the "OSGeo-Europe" chapter name, I have filed a ticket to change the name of this mailing list from "EU" to "Europe", which cannot be done using the html admin interface but must be done on the server (https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1617), and also for changing the Nabble forum name from "European Union Chapter" to "European Chapter"
>>
>> Sorry for being picky but it's best to do all of this at the beginning stage now, before we get too deep in this :)
>>
>> (I've also entered my dates on the doodle)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>>> On 2017-09-13 9:32 AM, Till Adams wrote:
>>> Dear OSGeo-EU members,
>>> I recently had the job to write a short message about formation of the
>>> Local Chapter OSGeo-EU (in german). While writing I of course had some
>>> glances on our WIKI pages and was also faced with our goals and missions
>>> [1].
>>> Now being approved by the board, I think we should at least start to
>>> think about our first activities, because just having the envelope is
>>> not listed on [1] ;-)
>>> Maybe a good point to start might be ...
>>> ... form a voted board (okay, we voted on the board, but not on posts,
>>> but we listed Dirk as our president, Marc as our treasurer and ?? as
>>> secretary). Maybe we think about a vice-president and so on.
>>> ... think about at least having a homepage as point of contact for
>>> finding us and being more representative than just a WIKI page
>>> ... introduce us to various European Organisations such as (list is
>>> EUROGI
>>> SMESpire
>>> ESA
>>> [...]
>>> If, of course we have to add other organisations you might have in mind
>>> to the list, then have s.th. that introduces us better than an
>>> unformatted WIKI page (e.g. Introduction letter, regular homepage (s.a.)
>>> ?). Also we could offer to meet people from these organisations by
>>> opportunity - if we find volunteers among us to do that (writing this, I
>>> throw my hat in the ring)
>>> As said, all these are just my first quick ideas. I formed a doodle in
>>> order to schedule a meeting on IRC:
>>> https://doodle.com/poll/2ear9qdzphwf6f9k
>>> Feel free to add dates/times by sending them to me (can't find the handy
>>> admin-link in doodle any more...)
>>> Till
>>> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe#Mission_and_objectives
>>> _