[Europe] Resurrect legal entity

Codrina Maria Ilie codrina at geo-spatial.org
Fri Mar 17 07:26:55 PDT 2023

Hi, all,

In the last past months, I’ve been interacting both with ESA and the European Commission with
various occasions and it has become obvious to me that there is tangible interest from both to
formally connect to OSGeo, through a European entity. At the beginning of the year, I’ve approached
the board of the OSGeo EU to inquiry of the legal status of the initial NGO. Because the chain of
signatures to terminate was never completed, the Belgian NGO is dormant. However, given that this is
an action initiated in August 2022 and still not done, I believe at this point that it is wiser to
find volunteers that are willing to take the challenge to establish and to run a legal entity for
OSGeo Europe Local Chapter. The intro, missions and objectives written in the OSGeo Europe wiki page
make perfect sense to me https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe, we just need to have a more flexible
and responsive structure.

To make everyone’s life easier, it is highly advisable that this NGO be established in an EU and ESA
member country.

So, please share your thoughts on this in the following days/week. There is a time constrain because
the European Commission is keen in having a formal connection to OSGeo Europe to support also
financially both the FOSS4G 2023 in Kosovo, as well as FOSS4G Europe 2024.

Cheers from Bucharest,
Codrina

P.S. 1 All that being said, I’d like to share my - together with the geo-spatial.org people -
availability to take on the legal formation of the OSGeo Europe Local Chapter in Romania.