Temporary tables from information_schema

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Dec 11 11:17:24 EST 2006

Hi,

Could anyone explain me what is the purpose of temporary tables
created on base of information_schema table by MySQL provider?

The MySQL Owner class creates temporary tables for
information_schema.tables, information_schema.columns, etc.
and populates these temp tables with subset of original rows.

The comment inside sources says:

"Create the temporary table from the <NAME OF SOURCE TABLE> table.
Make all string fields case sensitive."

Is this case (in)sensitivity the reason?

I also see, this temporary tables are optional - controled by
boolean parameter.

I wonder if I need this feature in PostGIS. Currently, I don't see any
reason, but I also don't see the reason behind these tables for
MySQL provider, so it's hard to be sure.

Thanks for any explanation