[fdo-dev] SHP build broken in trunk

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 9 13:18:38 EST 2006

Folks,

In my experience a "stable branch" has been used for issuing point releases
with bug fixes.   So for instance:

1) Approaching release, so call goes out to hold off on new features, and
    focus on bug fixing/stabilization.
2) At release time, a stable branch is broken off (say a 3.2 branch).
3) Development recommences in the trunk at this point.
4) 3.2.1, 3.2.2 etc releases can be made off the 3.2 branch from time to
    time till 3.3 comes out.  The 3.2.x releases would just have bug fixes,
    that are backported from trunk.

It was pointed out in the first FDO meeting that holding off on new
development while release stabilization happens is not always practical,
in which case we could split off the "stable 3.2" branch a modest while
before 3.2 is actually released, but the downside is that fixes need to
go into the 3.2 branch and trunk at that point.

Mateusz and others also point out that branches can be used for radical
experiments and stuff.  I'm not against that, though I am personally
nervous about how this works out when it is time to merge back the changes.
The geotools guys have used branches for radical new features and found
that merge time turns into months and months of hell (at least this is
how I perceive things watching the mailing list).  So I'm not a bit fan
of routine use of branches for developing radical new features.

I think "trunk" always being the current development version is easy
to understand with branches existing for "stable branches" and
private/radical experiments.