[fdo-dev] SHP build broken in trunk

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 9 14:30:12 EST 2006

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> I think "trunk" always being the current development version is easy
>> to understand with branches existing for "stable branches" and
>> private/radical experiments.
>
> Hmm, isn't "stable branch" the same as a tag?

Mateusz,

No, because the "stable branch" continues to be updated with bug fixes.
Just not new features.  So for instance, while we are working on FDO 3.3,
we can still incorporate bug fixes into the FDO 3.2 "branch" allowing us
to issue FDO 3.2.1, and 3.2.2 releases.

This is the same approach we use now for MapServer (using CVS), and that
I hope to use for GDAL.  In the past GDAL has just tagged releases, and
then we go into development mode for another 4-12 months before there is
another release.  I have had no meaningful way of issuing point releases
with only bug fixes in them.

I do assume we would tag actual releases.  So we might end up with
FDO 3.2.0, 3.2.1, and 3.2.2 tags.