[fdo-dev] GDAL version in the trunk

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Oct 6 15:15:03 EDT 2006

Traian Stanev wrote:
> On Linux it does. However on my Linux laptop I never had a problem
> anyway since libraries get installed in /usr which is automatically
> visible,
> even without having a special --with- option.

Yes, because /usr is usually a standard installation prefix.
However, when I want to build and test FDO with, for instance, GDAL CVS,
then I would not like to install it into standard prefix (/usr) but I
prefer to put it into so called dev location, for example $HOME/usr,
just to not to mess my system.

I believe many developers prefer to not to pollute system locations with
libraries in development versions.
That's one of reasons why --with-<package> is a nice gadget.

> I simply deleted
> thirdparty in order to compile against the available libraries. :-)

:-)