[fdo-dev] Classes and properties in SHP providers

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Oct 30 17:09:33 EST 2006

Robert Fortin wrote:
> Mateusz,
>
> Just to concur with Pierre, you don't need create datastore because you
> can use a connection on an empty folder and Applyschema to create new
> shape file.  Create datastore would result in a) creating a new folder
> or b) creating a new shape file.  In case of a) you can do that using
> standard OS API.  In case of b) a new shape file is useless until you
> actually specify the info that it will contain and this is done through
> apply schema.
>
> And I think you got both concept for Datastore and datasource right.

Robert,

Yup, as I said the whole misunderstanding regarding OSGeo.SHP is about
ApplySchema magic for shapefiles.
Yes, not it's clear.
I just tried to find out best common denominator for all providers
regarding data store creation, to find out best approach for
common utilities implementation like dump data from MySQL data store to
SHP data store, etc.

Thanks Greg, Pierre and Robert for patience.