[fdo-dev] Standard exceptions handling practice

Greg Boone greg.boone at autodesk.com
Fri Sep 1 10:56:01 EDT 2006

When dealing with 3rd party exceptions, we try our *best* to catch these
exceptions in the provider code base and translate the contents of the
exception into an FdoException. We then throw the FdoException. Our main
clients such as Map and MapGuide are set up to catch instances of
FdoException when executing FDO logic and allowing other exceptions to
be thrown when executing provider code could severely compromise their
error handling strategies.