[fdo-dev] FDO172 & Warning of "build breaker" changes

Pierre Dalcourt pierre.dalcourt at autodesk.com
Tue Sep 26 11:13:10 EDT 2006

Hi Frank,

This method is used to indicate the theoretical maximum size of data
values that can be read/written using the given provider.  I'm not 100%
sure which client(s) will be using these capabilities.

The value "-1" in such capability APIs indicates that there is
theoretically no limit, although in practice there may be a real limit
imposed by several factors (file system size, etc).  In the case of SHP
Provider's Blob/Clob size limits, -1 is returned but should be ignored
by the caller because SHP Provider does not support Blobs/Clobs as of
this time.

In the case of a value as large as 2^63 there may not be a significant
difference between returning 2^63 or -1 but if you have an accurate
maximum value it would be best to return it instead of -1.

Pierre