[fdo-internals] Connection state and commands

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Feb 16 15:11:01 EST 2007

Hi,

Is there any general rule about what connection state is required
for what command or it is provider specific?

For example:

- FdoConnectionState_Open is required for commands like:

SQLCommand or Select Command

- FdoConnectionState_Pending is a minimum requirement for commands like

ListDataStores
CreateDataStore
etc.

Now, is this assumed, across all FDO providers, that ListDataStores
or CreateDataStore will only work with connection of state open?

Perhaps, I a provider developer has liberty to set a requirement
that if connection is open to a particular datastore,
it's not possile to call commands operating on datastores:
CreateDataStore, DestroyDataStore, ListDataStores,
but pending connection is required?

Similarly, if connection state == pending it shouldn't be possible to
create any commands other than operating on datastores.

As I see in available providers, it's handled differently:
- one provider validates connection state before creating commands
- another doesn't check the state at all