[fdo-internals] Raster Catalogs (aka Tileindexes)

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Wed Jan 24 22:28:22 EST 2007

Hi Frank,

Here my thoughts on this. A raster catalog does not need to be exposed at the API level. For example, one way to do this would be to "connect" the raster provider to a directory containing a large number of rasters. Internally, the provider could index these in whatever way it wants.

I would personally use an SDF file for the spatial index -- like you say, insert a polygon corresponding to the bounds of the raster and use the raster name (or index) as ID property. An SHP file will probably work fine too, I've seen lots of raster catalogs stored in shp files before.

One thing I always wondered is whether it's worth it to persist the index into a file or is it easier to initialize it the first time an FDO connection is opened and then keep it in memory until the connection is closed. Given that FDO connections remain open for a while, it seems like keeping it in memory is not such a bad idea, and avoids the trouble of dealing with an index file.

Traian