[fdo-internals] Raster Catalogs (aka Tileindexes)

Greg Boone greg.boone at autodesk.com
Thu Jan 25 09:57:12 EST 2007

Hi All,

The FDO team faces a similar issue with the ATIL based raster provider
found in the MapGuide Enterprise release. At this time we are planning
to fix this issue for the next release of MapGuide Enterprise. I would
hope that we could find a solution that is common to both the ATIL based
and GDAL based providers.

The current proposal advocates that the ATIL Raster provider's XML
configuration document be updated to include the bounds of the
referenced raster images. Along with this change would come an
associated change to the API that controls the creation and access of
the XML configuration document. These additional 'bounds' definitions
would be used by the provider to filter the list of initial raster
images based on a spatial filter supplied by the user in an FDO select
command. Once the selection set of raster images has been determined,
the raster provider will directly access the images and extract the
geo-reference information to determine which images to return to the
client application.

Since the ATIL and GDAL overrides API and configuration documents are
virtually identical, a common approach could be agreed on for both
providers.

Please find the proposal attached. Comments and feedback are welcome.