[fdo-internals] FDO and Incubation

Zak James zjames at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Jul 20 09:25:32 EDT 2007

Daniel,

I think a key difference between FDO and GDAL in this context is the
number of client applications that make use of the functionality.
Discussion on this list occurs mainly when a non-AutoDesk developer
is working on a  provider or related application but there just
aren't that many. Perhaps the introduction of tools like FDO2FDO and
the increasing popularity of Mapguide will drive other groups to
develop providers and drive community involvement.

One proactive way to increase outside developer interest would be for
the existing community to produce a 'beginner's' guide to creating a
provider. There is some excellent documentation for FDO but something
relatively simple like that is missing.

zak
--
Zak James