[fdo-internals] FDO and Incubation

Robert Fortin robert.fortin at autodesk.com
Mon Jul 23 10:09:41 EDT 2007

Daniel,

Some comments below.

- I agree with Zak that we need to increase the tools available for FDO:
fdo2fdo is a good example.  There is other certainly available or that
would need to be build.  A standalone FDO browser would also be very
helpful.

- "How to build a provider?" would help as long as we have people
interested in building more providers and that there provider can be
made available to other user rapidly.

- Most of the activities are on the provider and there is not much cross
providers activities.  The activities on this provider are often limited
to few developers which main interest is to make some data available in
MapGuide.

- Some of the activities are generated on the MapGuide mailing list and
sometime answered there.  Some people knows to send their question on
both list, but not everybody does it.

- The current road map is unclear to many user.    Also it should not be
tight up to another project milestones.  FDO should exist on its own and
have its own life cycle and a predictable release road map.

- When is the last time PSC meet to discuss the direction on the
project?  How was that communicated to user?  Some dynamics need to be
generated from the PSC itself.

- We could have a better strategy around build.   At the moment the
build are published periodically around release time.  Builds are done
more frequently, yet not published.  With a clear release road map, it
would help.

- Better integration of new providers. There is a separation between the
"supported" providers and other providers.  Sl-king for Oracle and
PostGIS providers are currently not integrated in the build processs and
therefore not published. Some work need to be done in this direction.

I'm not sure how keeping the FDO project under incubation longer will
help. Doesn't it create this impression that the project doesn't belong
to the community yet? It would be good to communicate some of incubation
activities that are undergoing to the community so each one know how
they can contribute to help moving this project forward.

Thanks for your support on mentoring this project!  I'm sure this pause
to ask questions about the project will be helpful.

RF