[fdo-internals] FDO Incubation Progress Reports

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Mar 15 11:31:36 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Ultimately I think it would take a substantial amount of
> layered stuff on top of the FDO C++ API to make it palatable
> to the hard core python folks

Ok, I had no idea what the effort, etc was.  I agree that it's better to
concentrate on a common framework if that makes the most sense.  I guess
there's a lower user base for Python than there is for .Net.

> possibly adding
> a bit of syntactic sugar which can be accomplished with SWIG.

That would be good if there are possibilities there.

> Lets not let one member of the community wag the dog,
> nor discourage the good work that has already been
> accomplished.

I think that Sean's commentary, though generally critical, plays an
important role.  Most groups can generally do things better, and having
someone calling attention to those things is a good thing.  Or were you
refering to me? :)

You're right that it shouldn't discourage the good work that has been
done.