[fdo-internals] Motion: RFC 3 - PostGIS provider

Orest Halustchak orest.halustchak at autodesk.com
Tue May 8 12:54:31 EDT 2007

I don't think that save points would work the way we'd expect a regular
transaction to work. A save point is within a transaction and while you
can roll back to a save point, you can't really commit at a save point
except by committing the transaction that includes it.

Again, we're talking about short transactions in this case, not long
transactions.

Basically, fdo expects the standard short transaction mechanism. It's
not a nested transaction concept. You can execute any set of data update
operations and they will be isolated from other users until a
transaction commit. At that time, the edits are permanent and other
users can see them. A rollback will remove all edits done since the
beginning of the transaction. A short transaction supports ACID
properties (atomicity, consistency, isolation, and durability).

Thanks,
Orest.