[fdo-internals] FW: [mapguide-internals] fdo, linux, rpm and sonames

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri May 11 16:25:08 EDT 2007

Greg Boone wrote:
> Forwarded from MapGuide-internals....
>
> -----Original Message----- From:
> mapguide-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
> [mailto:mapguide-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of
> Traian Stanev Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 9:49 AM To:
> mapguide-internals at lists.osgeo.org Subject: RE: [mapguide-internals]
> fdo, linux, rpm and sonames
>
> This suggestion makes a lot of sense to me. Practically all Linux
> libraries I've dealt with have had the .so.X.X.X naming.

But this is not just a name, it's a versioning system.
AFAIK, currently, FDO uses it's own versioning scheme.
Does this proposal mean we're going to switch to libtool scheme of
current.revision.age format.

Release version is not the same as interface version, also the manual warns:

"Never try to set the interface numbers so that they correspond to the
release number of your package. This is an abuse that only fosters
misunderstanding of the purpose of library versions. Instead, use the
`-release' flag (see section Managing release information), but be
warned that every release of your package will not be binary compatible
with any other release."

IMHO, such non-trivial change should be explained in RFC and be discussed.