[fdo-internals] About distance and spatial operations

Gavin Cramer gavin.cramer at autodesk.com
Sat May 26 22:08:50 EDT 2007

Hi, Mateusz.  CoveredBy and Inside correspond to the same-named Oracle
Spatial SDO operators.  See
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14255/sdo_
intro.htm#i880253 .  Inside selects geometries that are strictly inside
the filter's boundaries.  CoveredBy selects geometries that are both
inside and touching the boundaries (which I find a bit odd).

All of the other SpatialCondition operators are intended to be the same
as the respectively named OGC operators.

As for the DistanceOperations, "Within" should be the same as the
SpatialOperations_Within, except allowing for the offset distance.  See
SDO's SDO_WITHIN_DISTANCE.  "Beyond" is everything else (i.e. Disjoint
from the filter geometry's boundary, plus the offset distance).

Gavin