[fdo-internals] Build warnings - PostGIS and Boost...

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sat Nov 10 19:05:23 EST 2007

Might not be easy, but I know that at least one person is doing it for Mandriva already:

http://www.geolinux.com.br/packages/geolinux/Mandriva/Mandriva/ <http://www.geolinux.com.br/packages/geolinux/Mandriva/Mandriva/>

Ideally, both FDO and MapGuide would work with native libraries in preference to what is in the ThirdParty/Oem directories if they are installed.  I believe that both apps have made strides in this direction since the initial release (FDO seems to pick up pre-installed GDAL if it's present, I think MapGuide works with pre-existing Apache/PHP if you want).

I guess that if I was going to attempt to create and maintain a package, it would be best to use as many native package-based components as possible.  I understand that there are some tools that have been patched to work better with MapGuide (like GD), but in general...

I would prefer to worry about it, because the only way that we are going to get a lot of people using these relatively complex apps is to make installation as easy as possible.  This partially means clean and clear installation / compilation instructions, but I think that building packages for them would lower the barrier substantially as well.  And providing a VM for people that just want to test drive (my current project) would go a long way too.

Jason

From: Mateusz Loskot
Subject: Re: [fdo-internals] Build warnings - PostGIS and Boost...

Good point, but I'd not worry too much about because packaging FDO for
ie. various Linux (like RPM, deb) is actually not easy now, because FDO
uses static and predefined installation procedure and locations.