[fdo-internals] Request for Agenda Items for FDO PSC Meeting

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 17 18:07:11 EDT 2007

Greg Boone wrote:
> As for the comment regarding the incubation committees requirement for a
> further 2 months of open communication, it is not clear in my mind what
> exactly is required. Can you elaborate?

Greg,

The incubation committee has taken the position that they want to be confident
that community functioning has been institutionalized.  That is, the community
mechanisms (PSC meetings, votes, rfc, use of trackers, etc) are working
smoothly for a while rather than just being written up as documents or perhaps
just being followed in one brief phase of enthusiasm that passes quickly.

This discussion originally occurred in the context of Mapbender's use of
a bug tracker, and the committee thought it would like to see it being
used over a period of time to ensure it was institutionalized.  While at
that time, a period of six months was bantied around we ultimately decided
to leave the criteria subjective.

So, first recognise that incubation graduation is based on the committees
judgement of community function and other criteria at a subjective level.
So it isn't easy to get "exactly what is required" answers.  Instead, we
as FDO need to aim to make the members of the incubation committee comfortable
that we are an openly functioning community, etc.

I think I was one of the people that mentioned to Jason that I would like too
see a couple more months of smooth operation of FDO before I'd be comfortable
with it graduating.  Especially since the PSC was barely operational before
you took over as chair.