[fdo-internals] RFC 11 has been posted

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 7 15:31:04 EDT 2007

Thomas Knoell wrote:
> Hi,
>

> A new RFC (http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FDORfc11) has been posted. The
> RFC follows up on RFC 8 by adding geometric functions to the list of
> well-known FDO functions.
>
> Please review the RFC. Any comments/suggestions and questions are
> welcome. All feedback is expected by the end-of-day _September 12^th
> 2007_. If no changes are required it is my intent to motion that a vote
> for the acceptance of the RFC be made and subsequently voted on by the PSC.

Thomas,

I'm somewhat leery about the provider deciding whether to return meters or
degrees internally with no way for the application code to know what will
happen.  I think, either the provider should indicate what it is going to
do, or we should peg this down and perhaps provide helper functions to
support it as suggested by others.

Does FDO currently provide any generic means to reproject feature geometries?
I have the impression it does not, though I might easily have missed it.  I
think it ought to.