[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 18 - Migrate to Microsoft Visual Studio 2008

Greg Boone greg.boone at autodesk.com
Wed Apr 30 13:46:34 EDT 2008

[GB] See inline...

-----Original Message-----
From: fdo-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:fdo-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Frank Warmerdam (External)
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:50 AM
To: FDO Internals Mail List
Subject: Re: [fdo-internals] FDO RFC 18 - Migrate to Microsoft Visual Studio 2008

Greg,

I feel a bit like Mateusz, though perhaps less strongly.  In the long term
I think a more compiler agnostic build environment would be desirable.

[GB] In the future, it would be nice to have such a non-VisualStudio build system in place that compliments the existing VisualStudio project files. I am open to suggestions regarding this issue as long as we can maintain the 2008 VisualStudio project files and that developers are not forced to maintain multiple build configuration/project files within a single project.

However, if we are going to migrate to VS2008 project files, then I do
think we at least need to ensure that FDO is easily built with VS2008
Express.  I'll take an action item (though I may need reminding) to
confirm and try to help with any VS2008 Express issues once the project
file migration is complete.

[GB] As a part of the upgrade to VS 2008, we will ensure that all of FDO builds on Visual Studio Express 2008.

I will say that the RFC does not seem to provide a strong motivation for
the migration.  VS2008 can load VS2005 project files, right?  I'm assuming
the issue is that if virtually everyone is using VS2008 then it is hard
to update the project files because VS2008 doesn't write VS2005 project
files.  Is that the situation?

[GB] VS2008 can read VS2005 files, but then you are required to save as 2008 in order to capture any changes. You are right that it does not save in the 2005 format.

[GB] We have also analyzed the difference between VS 2005 and 2008 project files and we feel we may be able to write a script that generates 2005 project files from their 2008 counterparts. The difference seems slight. If there is a strong demand for 2005 support from our users, them this may be a possible solution going forward.

PS. I'm thinking of publishing marketing notice from the GDAL team that
GDAL 1.5.1 is "the highest quality release even, and ensures that you are
more productive during geospatial data management" on my web site -
apparently that will make it a fact!

[GB] Hey... You would have my endorsement to that effect!

OK, Orest, perhaps that harsh, but I'm hardly willing to upgrade just
because Microsoft says "it's newer, it's better!"