[fdo-internals] RFC 23 for Review

Bruno Scott bscott at geomapgis.com
Thu Jul 10 02:52:04 EDT 2008

Hi Ronnie,
I know a little about the PostGIS provider, and the PostGIS provider caches
the schema description internally on the first connection. So the first call
is slow but all subsequent access to the DescribeSchema command is as fast
as possible because it does not make any access to the rdbms.
The drawback of this approach is when we make a modification in the rdbms
schema, we have to restart the mapguide server to make it available.

I know also that when we make a modification in an oracle schema, we have
also to restart the mapguide server. So i bet other provider use this same
technique.

So i guess for all of these providers that implement schema description
cache, we wont have much performance improvement.

Bruno