[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 14:06:31 EDT 2008

Jason Birch wrote:
> I'd agree that having spatial functions supported (via GEOS) would be a
> nice addition to this RFC; maybe phase 2 if there are limited resources
> for this initial implementation?
>
> Jason

Folks,

Wouldn't this fall into the category of an "FDO levelling" support library
that makes it easy to provide advanced FDO functions easily to FDO providers
that lack intrinsic support for the operators?

I think that is what section (3) of this is trying to address:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FdoClientUtilities

It would certainly be desirable, but I think could also be handled as
an additional effort after the basic provider is implemented.

I am curious about whether a spatial index could be persisted with the data
in some way that would be useful in multiple environments (ie. FDO and OGR).
My main concern would be how to know know when it is dirty and needs to be
rebuilt.  Possibly we could support something as simplistic as
xmin/xmax/ymin/ymax columns in the table as a basis for a spatial index?