[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 14:15:59 EDT 2008

Jason Birch wrote:
> I'm not sure how I feel about .prj file support.  Does the use of this
> imply that all tables in the database share the same coordinate system?
> I guess that if this was combined with the use of X/Y columns, it would
> increase the portability of using SQLite for spatial in some cases.
>
> I understand that QGIS uses SQLite somehow internally.  Does anyone know
> the details?  It would be nice to align with them if possible.

Jason,

I've checked with the qgis guys, and I think they only use sqlite as
a geospatial data format through OGR.  There may also be some use of it
separately as a spatial reference system repository but that doesn't
directly impact us.

It might be cool to get someone in the geotools world (perhaps even an SoC
student) interested in implementing an sqlite-over-odbc or sqlite-over-jdbc
provider that would support our format for the Java world.