[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Mar 18 21:34:04 EDT 2008

Jason Birch wrote:
> I don't think that it needs to be either/or.
>
> As Frank proposed, I would prefer to see a solution that allows the user
> to specify the following in geometry_columns table:
>
> FGF
> WKB12
> WKT12
>
> And then allow storage of any one of these in the database as the
> "native" format for any given table.

IOW, the native format is defined per a database instance.

> The overhead is that all implementations of this SQLite geo-database
> would have to support these formats, but this would allow optimisation
> for FDO/MapGuide with FGF, for standardisation with WKB (I would suggest
> only supporting SFS 1.2 WKB), or for ease of access with WKT.

I don't understand what does the "would have to support these formats" mean?

Two databases are given:

A - stores spatial data as WKB

B - stores spatial data as FGF

There is possible situation in which B database is unusable with OGR
driver, but the FDO Provider for SQLite can use both, and in A case can
switch to WKB.

IOW, databases are not really portable.

> I am hesitant about any solution that requires special dlls for
> accessing the SQLite database at this point...

Such modules could be deployed transparently for user, as a part of the
FDO provider for SQLite and as a part of OGR driver in GDAL, etc.

Greetings