[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 21:34:46 EDT 2008

Traian Stanev wrote:
> OK I read the spec (well, I looked at Figure 1).

Traian,

:-)

> It seems workable to use
> spatial_ref_sys and geometry_columns for metadata. However, in my proposal,
> the geometry and other attributes are in the same table and not in two
> joined tables like in the spec. This is not really a problem, but it implies
> that in the sqlite case the F_ and G_ columns in the geometry_columns table
> will be identical. Are there any objections to that?

I completely agree.  I think the stuff about putting the geometry in a
joined table is unnecessary and that making G_TABLE_NAME match F_TABLE_NAME,
and F_GEOMETRY_COLUMN we can assume that the G_GEOMETRY_COLUMN is the geometry
itself in WKB, FGF, or WKT.  We can add our own G_GEOMETRY_FORMAT column
which can have values like WKT, WKB, or FGF.

It is particularly important to ignore all the stuff about normalized
geometry in the spec.