[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Tue Mar 18 23:01:23 EDT 2008

The conversion between WKB and FGF is not expensive at all, but it does add up if you are reading a million features in a hurry.

Adding spatial index to SQLite would be like jamming a helicopter into the proverbial Miata, and expecting some sort of an improvement. :-)

If this is an interchange format, why do you need to store a spatial index in there? It would only make the file bigger? Spatial indexes are very fast to generate on the fly, so why carry one around with you? It would also force a single spatial index algorithm on people, which they have to implement on clients that wish to use it -- using a spatial index implies quite a bit of client code that knows how to make sense out of it. It makes more sense to have one persisted when the database is not as mobile as SQlite is. I'm not trying to be a naysayer, just want to understand the reasoning behind having an integrated spatial index.

Oh, I just updated the RFC to reflect the geomtry_columns and spatial_ref_sys thing.

Traian