[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Mar 23 13:58:25 EDT 2008

Folks,

I have added some specifics to the RFC for the geometry_columns table,
and implemented support for this approach in the OGR SQLite driver.  I
have uploaded a sample dataset of polygon data in WKB format to:

   http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/data/sqlite3/polygon_wkb.db

I also added limited FGF reading support to my driver, but it only
kicks in if the geometry_columns table exists, and describes the format
as FGF for the geometry column.  Traian provided me with sample data to
which I added a geometry_columns table with an appropriate entry and
it worked!  Traian, do you mind if I upload that adjusted dataset to the
above location?

I'd like to also flesh out the spatial_ref_sys aspect but I'll leave
that for next week.  Off to eat road bunny and chocolate turkey or something
like that.

PS. I'm also interested in the spatialite project (referenced now on the RFC)
but it has it's own slightly WKB like format for geometry which I don't
feel up to immediately implementing.  Too many geometry formats!