[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Tue Mar 25 07:11:50 EDT 2008

I just re-read the RFC.

What are your reasons for not storing BBOX releated data in the data table?

I would suggest adding four columns, like minx, maxx, miny, max (perhaps
name them via. the geometry_columns table?).
With that approach, and index on the pairs would move the BBOX query
load/optimization into the DBMS.
BBOX queries are simple, and does not require reading the actual column
data.

Your extended spatial index algorithm might read these values to produce
the search tree.

Another suggestion, would be to store the search tree in a blob column.
That would enable a much faster load of data.

To avoid the requirement that all data updaters know the algorithm, it
might be legal to just clear the BLOB data on updates.

I wrote a short paper on a similar mechanism some time ago, with a friend:
http://www.hexad.dk/opensource/spatialdbms.pdf

Regards, Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S