[fdo-internals] Community Code Snippets

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Wed Oct 15 13:10:16 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Due to a lack of negative feedback (BTW, this is the best way to empower
yourself in open source communities), I have set up a Community Code
Snippets page on our Trac website, including instructions on how to
create your own pages.

http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/CodeSnippets

Anyone with a valid OSGeo ID can now log into the Trac wiki and
create/modify these snippets.  Go ahead and fix up the ones I copied
from the list; I'm sure that I messed them up one way or other, and some
inline comments may be required.

Have fun!

For licensing:  I'd like to propose that we adopt the Creative Commons
BY license for documentation on our Trac website, which basically means
that anyone can use and modify the work in any context, as long as they
give credit.  Another option would be BY-SA, which requires them to also
share their modifications, similar to the LGPL license that FDO uses.

My personal reference would be for the BY license, which would ensure
the greatest possible spread of our documentation.  I believe that the
BY-SA license would prevent use of the snippets in books, etc.  I'd also
like to see FDO move to a BSD-style license like CSMap for greatest
possible adoption, but that's an entirely different topic :)