[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 21 - New Linux Buildsystem Cmake Based

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Oct 20 02:31:00 EDT 2008

I think that this was the last of the questions?

Rather than continuing to beat this to death, I would really like to
see:

- Helio's current (3.4.x) cmake work checked into trunk as an alternate
build system
- With the understanding that this is Linux-only (and BSD/MacOS as we
have time); won't touch Windows solutions, etc at all

This will give developers and users some time to get used to this
system, take it for a test drive, etc...

Why?  Because FDO _really_ needs to be made more cross-platform Linux
friendly, and it doesn't look like there is anyone willing or able to do
this with the current build system.  Helio has already done the work,
and we basically get it for free.

I understand that there may be some hesitancy to move to this platform
because of a lack of familiarity, but my hope is that introducing it as
an alternate system will allow us to build this familiarity and gauge
the actual benefits in a non-intrusive manner.  If it turns out to be
easily maintainable, and offer the cross-platform friendliness that we
need, then we can discuss moving to it as the exclusive Linux build
system in the future.

Thoughts?

From: Helio Chissini de Castro
Subject: Re: [fdo-internals] FDO RFC 21 - New Linux Buildsystem Cmake
Based

On Thursday 17 July 2008 19:07:00 Greg Boone wrote:
> One additional point. In such a system, I think we would also need to
> develop, build and post (as a part of the standard build process) a
Linux
> RPM-ish distribution mechanism for FDO and each provider.

Ok, some points:

1 - Can we get rid of all ThirdParty ?
No, today we need sqlite source and cppunit:
- sqlite because utilities
- cppunit because tests are done to a specific version. upgrade would
tka
etime

2 - 64 bits
Compiles and unittests too. I could test in production since my only
base
application test in mapguide and is not running very good yet on 64 bits
( i'm
getting there )

3 - Build Linux only ?
With minor changes, same buildsystem can be used fro OpenSolaris and
BSD.
With some changes even Mac OS

4 - rpm distribution mechanism
- Done today, i do in a regular basis.
Providers can be built independently of fdo core.
General specs can be made available togheter