[fdo-internals] Please review FDO RFC 38 - Multi-polygon support for SHP

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Thu Jul 16 12:05:17 EDT 2009

It can be optimized but the cost will never be zero, like it is now... I guess we will have to find some sample data to compare the performance before and after, but from what I remember last time we had this check, it made rendering intolerably slow for some data sets (if you compared SHP to the equivalent SDF).

Another thing to consider is that there are other providers which don't validate geometry like that -- SDF, SQLite for example -- so client code will still have to compensate for polygons whose rings are disjoint so should be treated as multipolygons, regardless of whether the SHP provider fixes the geometry.

So I'd argue that the fixing of the geometry should be done by code that requires it to be fixed -- i.e. take the performance hit only when necessary. This way rendering would not have to suffer the performance hit.

Traian