[fdo-internals] Enhanced Exception Types in FDO

Philipp Kast philipp.kast at autodesk.com
Wed Jun 3 10:05:04 EDT 2009

Hi

I'm trying to provide an example where you need more information about an exception than just an exception with a text.

If you build an application on FDO that needs to handle exceptions you need information about the problem that actually caused the exception, means more than a text.

A general example: Your Application needs a column MY_NUMBER in every feature class where you store some information. When you want to write something in this column and the column does not exist, you want to add the column programmatically. But every provider is complaining with different text messages that this column does not exist.

Oracle throws ORA-00904: "MY_NUMBER": invalid identifier

SQLite throws no such column: MY_NUMBER

How are you going to handle this exception? There is no way doing it generally.

A solution would be that all FDO providers are throwing and exception ColumnDoesNotExist or a FdoException with an FDO error code, e. g. FDO-001 or whatever.

Another example with a data store specific error. You have code that wants to select data from a Oracle based feature class. If you don't have spatial index defined on this table you will get an Oracle error. E. g. ORA-13226: interface not supported without a spatial index.

So if a program wants to handle this exception it has to know what happened, getting the error code 13226. You could add the spatial index again over ISQLCommand. This is an error that can only happen on a Oracle data store, therefore it is provider specific.

This example is specific to a certain FDO provider, namely Oracle. You need to handle this specific to Oracle Provider, so you need an provider specific native error code, ORA-13226.

Philipp