[mapguide-internals] RE: [fdo-internals] Hosting FDO 3.5 builds / Binaries for CentOS and Ubuntu

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Thu Feb 18 23:50:12 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

I did some testing with /opt/osgeo this afternoon.  The Ubuntu package checker (lintian) throws an error basically stating that packaged binaries should not be installed to /opt.  I think the only way make lintian "truly" happy is to install directly under /usr.  However, /usr/fdo-3.5.0 is non-standard so we would have to install piecewise underneath the various parts of /usr, ie. /usr/lib/fdo-3.5.0, /usr/doc/fdo-3.5.0, /usr/include/fdo-3.5.0, etc.  That would be a non-trivial change to the build process.

At this point, I agree with Greg.  We should just stick with /usr/local/fdo-3.5.0 for this release.  By "packaging" standards, it is wrong but I am not keen on making significant changes to the automake and/or cmake build process.  We can look at it for Fdo 3.6.

Regards,
Trevor