[fdo-internals] Common Xerces for MapGuide and Fdo

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Thu Jul 1 10:17:30 EDT 2010

Hi list,

As part of the MapGuide Oem library upgrades for the next release, we will be moving to Xerces 3.1.0 (or maybe 3.1.1) to match Fdo.  The work is being done by Rohit, our Google Summer of Code Student.  For MapGuide, we are intending to remove Xerces from our source tree and use previously installed "-dev" packages on Linux and official Xerces "SDKs" on Windows.  Since Xerces 3.1.0 is not available on CentOS 5, we will be building and distributing the RPMs ourselves.

In an effort to share the same physical library on both Linux and Windows, we were wondering if it would make sense to follow the same process for Fdo, ie. pull Xerces out of the tree and build against an "installed" version of Xerces for both Linux and Windows?  As a side note, building against installed "/usr" libs on Linux would bring us one step closer to Debian / Ubuntu packaging compliance.

Is this approach reasonable?

Regards,
Trevor