[fdo-internals] MOTION: FDO RFC 50 - Extend FDO API to Select from Multiple Classes and Select Joins

Greg Boone greg.boone at autodesk.com
Thu Jul 22 11:22:01 EDT 2010

Hi All,

If there are no further comments, I motion for a vote to accept "FDO RFC 50 - Extend FDO API to Select from Multiple Classes and Select Joins." (http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FDORfc50)

+1

Regards,
Greg

From: fdo-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:fdo-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Orest Halustchak
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 10:05 AM
To: FDO Internals Mail List
Subject: [fdo-internals] New FDO RFC 50 posted - Extend FDO API to Select from Multiple Classes and Select Joins

Hi,

Please have a look at a new FDO RFC 50 that proposes to extend the FDO api to support the ability to use multiple classes in a select and in a filter. This would provide the ability the express joins at the fdo level.

http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FDORfc50

It is a common capability that users need, the ability to join together two or more classes for a result to support analysis, rendering, or other uses. Until now, with FDO, this was done at a higher level such as the client-side join capabilities within MapGuide. While that capability is useful, it does not perform well and is error prone. This enhancement provides us a clear way to push that capability down to providers that support it such that they can translate the join into native server expressions. In general, I think it adds more power and flexibility to the FDO api.

As usual, this includes capability functions so that applications can discover if a provider supports this. We don't expect all providers to support this, mainly the ones that pass through fdo queries to sql.

I hope you like it. :)

Thanks very much to Romy Dascalescu for putting this together and trying out various alternatives.

Please provide your comments and suggestions.

Thanks,
Orest.