[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 54 is ready for review.

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Tue Oct 26 10:33:09 EDT 2010

Hi Leaf,

The motivation behind the OGR provider was not to write another SHP provider. It was to support formats which do not have a dedicated FDO provider for whatever reason. So it is unfair to say that the OGR provider was written to be another SHP provider -- it is just a coincidence that OGR has SHP support (in some respects better than the native FDO provider, BTW).

In the RFC, you state that the OGR provider has certain limitations -- some of which are due to the MITAB driver, which you have forked and fixed. Doesn't it make more sense to contribute those fixes back to GDAL and automatically pick up the write support via the OGR provider? Sure, some fixes may be needed in the OGR provider, but they would be far less work than a whole new provider.

Instead, you plan to maintain a fork of MITAB and also a whole new provider -- more work for FDO maintainers. Also, GDAL, to which you owe the initial implementation of the MITAB driver loses, since you don't contribute your changes back.

Now, let's look at some of the claims in detail:

* thread safety -- if the underlying OGR driver is thread safe, then OGR is thread safe as well. So if you fixed MITAB driver can be used in a per-connection way, then this will also work with the OGR provider.

* extra data types -- which ones specifically?

* 64 bit -- OGR compiles on 64 bit in general (at least on Linux I have not had problems), what exactly is the problem there?

Traian