[fdo-internals] CMake build fixes (Re: FDO 3.7 beta2 timeframe)

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 02:06:56 PDT 2012

The original build system was (and still is) automake.

CMake was introduced as an alternate build system
(http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FDORfc21), but I guess nobody actually ever
put out working binaries via CMake as all the official builds since its
introduction were all still done through automake (I believe).

I only recently got CMake builds working in Ubuntu just in time for the
MapGuide 2.4 release timeframe (The key was to always use internal
GDAL/xalan/xerces, as Ubuntu hosted versions were too old or incompatible.
Everything else worked with system-sourced libraries), but issues like this
SONAME problem in particular prevented its use for the linux builds of
MapGuide 2.4.

I like the CMake build system. It's much faster and you get nice build
progress, but it still does not produce binaries that can be easily consumed
by MapGuide, which is the ultimate deal-breaker.

- Jackie